16 September 2012

Reflections

If I've learned one thing from trying to do my family tree..it's that I am in awe of how little I actually know about my family.  I know basically nothing about either of my grandparents, other than their names, and for one set I don't even have that.  I will be able to find out names, but I struggle to come to terms with the fact that I am not likely to know much about WHO these people were.  I don't have stories, I have few photographs and I have very few tangible pieces of 'evidence' that some of them ever existed.

It's led me to look hard at my life, about how little I am sharing with my own boys about stories of how I grew up, the people who were part of it.  I've decided to write down A LOT of things, in the hopes that if a) I never share these stories, or b) if i do and they forget..that they will be there for future generations to be able to have a look at.  I suppose in some ways, even doing this blog, is a step towards that.  I've pretty much decided to cover the 'major' events, but am trying to decide what, if any, of the 'lesser' events to include.  Of course, I also have to find some time to actually DO it....saying I am going to and actually doing it are two very different things.

I know life is short, sometimes way too short, and people are taken from us too soon.  In researching the paternal side of my family tree I have come to realise that though my dad and I were inseparable in a lot of ways, I really knew nothing about his life before I was born.  I don't know much about his military service..other than the little pieces of information I have been able to glean from one piece of his military file.  I don't know for sure who his parents were, or what his life was like growing up as a black child/adolescent/man in  mid-1900's America.

I've lived on three different continents in as many decades, had a vast amount of experiences on each one, and yet I still struggle with the feeling that I am missing something; not necessarily literally, but metaphorically/psychologically/spiritually.  Having said that, there's little I would change in the course of my life, and so far there is only one thing I truly regret.

I'm not getting any younger...so hopefully I figure it out soon.

1 comment:

  1. I always feel like I am missing something. You doing your family tree is an amazing way to connect with the past and learn about things you would never have otherwise known about. We started our blog for our 'major' event which was moving to NZ...loved every blogging day since so keep that up.

    Looking forward to more updates and realisations from your family searching...

    Marrisa :)

    ReplyDelete