15 September 2009

I need sleep

So I am new to this whole blogging thing so not sure how it works so will just ramble and see where I end up.

Now I shouldn't still be having sleepless nights now that Alex has decided that sleeping at night is a great thing to be doing, unfortunately someone forgot to tell my body that because I have been awake, except for the occasional doze for going on 23.5 hours straight. I went to bed relatively early last night, well for me, at a very respectable 9:30pm, by 12:30am I was wide awake after nearly 3 hours of tossing and turning and so was David. We decided since we were both awake that we'd watch the DVD we rented, expecting that we would be so bored by it that we'd fall asleep in about 30 minutes. Though the movie wasn't that riveting, it unfortunately didn't serve its intended purpose of getting us off to sleep so nearly 3 hours later David got up to do some work while I stayed in bed reading a book. I was tired by 4:15, though was well aware that one or both of the boys was liable to think that 5:30ish would be a great time to start the day........I wasn;t far off as James woke at 5am, just as I was trying to doze off again after a 30 minute 'power nap'. David sent him back to bed I learned later, but he was up for the day at about 5:45, shortly before Alex was at just before 6am. So I abandoned trying to get any more sleep and got up, feeling not nearly as tired as I would have expected for basically having no sleep in more than 24 hours as I had fallen asleep midday the day before while watching telly with James, spilling tea everywhere in the the process.

James was home again today, after I swore he had conjunctivitis yesterday so kept him home, he had a 2 hour nap about 11am, even though he said he didn't need one, yet I wasn't feeling tired enough to go to lie down myself, even though Alex had been asleep for nearly 2 hours by that point; in fact I was wide awake. I had lunch, tidied the lounge, did some washing and even watched the episode I taped of ER last night that I thought I was too tired to watch. Alex woke up about 1pm, with James not far behind at about 1:15. James got up and refused lunch, as did Alex really though he had a drink. David came home about 3pm, his usual time these days with his new hours and I had a few minutes to myself, where surprisingly I still wasn't tired. We all milled around until we had dinner about 5pm, the kids were bathed an in bed for about 6:45, though neither slept. Alex was cuddled for a bit before being put back to bed and James was up and down until he finally went off about 7pm. So I decided to goof off on the internet for a bit, fully expecting to want to get an early night, yet here I am, 9:07pm and still awake and not remotely tired.

This is similar to an experience I had about 10 years ago (potentially dating myself here) when I was up for 3 days straight. I nearly lost my mind and I didn't have small children to care for at the time for added 'fun'. I am not sure if I am going to attempt to go to bed, David has been in bed for about an hour, and as far as I can tell is asleep and if I'm not going to I don't want to keep him awake. Stay tuned for the next 'exciting' installment of my insomnia journey, hopefully this will be the only entry and I will have gotten some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment